Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ethiopian anyone?

Tonight I went with my sister and a friend to try an Ethiopian restaurant in Footscray that we'd heard about. Danni put the word out to a group of her friends and not surprisingly most of them responded with cries of horror that we could not go to such a scary and unknown destination. Okay, I admit, we ate with our hands and didn't use any utensils or plates, but the food and beer was fantastic. What I really want to know is why people are so anxious about the unknown. I absolutely love trying new things! In fact I will even make a point of trying things that I'm pretty confident I won't like.

According to psychologists Costa and McCrae, there is a whole personality dimension devoted to openness to experience. Some people will be down the lower end of the continuum and I guess I would sit at the higher end. I absolutely love the way that their personality theory was created. The idea is that if anybody had ever behaved in a certain way or shown particular personality traits ever in the history of humanity, then someone would have created a word to describe what they saw. So Costa and McCrae compiled every single word ever used to describe a person and eventually whittled them down into five distinct categories. These are Openness to Experience, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness and Neuroticism and are believed to currently be the most valid and reliable method of measuring enduring personality traits.

So if anyone thinks they may be high on Openness, grab my phone number and give me a call! Or if anyone else wants to use an atlas to choose a restaurant, then come join me! If there's anything that you've ever wanted to do but never got around to it, then lets do it. Variety is the spice of life!


No comments:

Post a Comment