Monday, May 31, 2010

Want a challenge? Try Bikram...

One of my beautiful friends finally convinced me to spend Sunday afternoon with her at Bikram Yoga. I'd never heard of it before I met her, so here's the rundown; you spend about 10mins lying in the room then complete 90 minutes of yoga postures (check out the pictures at http://www.yoga-108.net/bikram_postures.htm) and a 5 minute lie down before you leave. Doesn't sound so bad except that the room is heated to 40 degrees Celsius! I've done similar yoga postures before and quite honestly it was nowhere near intensive enough for my liking, but with Bikram I had to stop for a few minutes in the middle of the session cos I was one step away from throwing up or passing out! I play a decent amount of sport and I would like to think that I am reasonably athletic (only once ever have I worked myself so hard that I nearly vomited), but Bikram, damn, you nearly had me beat! Who would have thought that stretching could be so demanding on your body? But I guess nearly two hours moving around in a sauna will do that to you! I have a free pass for next Sunday, but can I stomach it? I'm hoping so, but regardless, I know I'll be furious at myself if I pike out now so I know I'm gonna have to go back just to conquer it. My respect for my friend's mental strength has increased dramatically. She is tough. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment